We are in a knowledge economy where content is the key that unlocks doors to opportunities and profitability. Unfortunately, many small business owners, freelancers, coaches and consultants do not fully understand what content marketing is.
To enhance your knowledge of the subject, the definitions of content and content marketing, as well as the benefits of doing so, are introduced below.
What is Content?
Dictionary.com defines content as
something that is to be expressed through some medium, as speech, writing, or any of various arts.
What is Content Marketing?
According to the Content Marketing Institute,
Content marketing is a strategic marketing approach focused on creating and distributing valuable, relevant, and consistent content to attract and retain a clearly-defined audience — and, ultimately, to drive profitable customer action.
Now that you have the definitions, following are a few benefits of doing it.
Benefits of Content Marketing
1. Create and control your messages
2. Speak directly to your “clearly-defined audience”
3. Build relationships with prospects and your audience
4. Sell your products and services without selling
5. Make your message part of your brand
6. Reach more people through different channels
7. Compose and distribute your message through low cost tools
8. You are viewed as an authority that solves people’s problems
9. Enjoy more engagement with your target audience
10. You’ll get more website traffic
11. Your search engine ranking will increase
This was an introduction to content marketing. You learned the definition of content and content marketing. You also learned some of the benefit of doing it.
Future posts will explain processes involved in content marketing; the types of content you can create to reach your target audience; and tools you can use to create content.
How About You?
Do you have a content marketing strategy for your venture? What strategies and tools do you use? Leave your comments in the comment box below.
Image credit: Pixabay